Monday 8 September 2014

INTERVIEW: WILL SALMON [MET POLICE FC]

Met Police defender Will Salmon was a little gem and answered a few questions for us here at Under The Prem. Check out his detailed responses below.



How do you feel last season went for the club?
Personally I feel last season for the club was a bit of a disappointment. I only signed in January from Woking but unfortunately the club was already out of the FA cup and not had the best start to the season league wise. That being said, come the back end of the season the team's form was quite good.  Having said that we really didn't finish anywhere near where that group of players should have. Agreed we had a few key long term injuries but football wise we played some nice fast flowing football. With a little more composure in front of goal and better concentration defensively we could  have got closer to the play offs.
What were some of the highs and lows of the 2013/14 campaign for you personally?
The 2013-14 season for me on a personal note was very difficult and very different. Due to travelling I had to turn down my old club up North (AFC Telford) My game suffered and the round trip of 356 miles 4-5 times a week really did take its toll. Promise after promise and hoping for a move back down South and to remain in the Premier Division didn't materialise so I signed non-contract for Bath City. A great club with fantastic support and will for sure get back up there one day. It was disappointing when the money ran out but fortunately for me I moved more local to Woking FC but as pre-agreed only until January.  Frustratingly I didn't play much first team football and as a player it’s so hard to understand, so at the end of my deal I decided to leave. At that point Dave Smalley put me in touch with the Met Police FC `governor` Jim Cooper and we agreed to help each other out until the end of the season. I was so thankful to him for signing me & giving me a chance to prove myself and play for the Met Police Football Club. In my short time at the Met I’ve really enjoyed working with the staff and the players. It’s a solid  professionally run club that again should be playing at a higher level. Thankfully my love for the game returned and I’m really enjoying playing football again with a club with aspirations.
How has pre-season gone for you on a personal level so far?
Pre-season so far has been good, quite hard but very enjoyable. The Gaffer and Gavin have worked hard getting the team fit and we are all looking forward to starting our league campaign this Saturday. No easy first day fixture at Maidstone away and for sure they will expect to build and go up after their performances last season. The main thing in my opinion in pre-season is to get the body ready for competitive games, no injuries and work out the best way to get the team playing with the players available. The new players have come in and gelled well and we look to have a good balance around the whole team. Everyone is raring to get the league campaign underway with 3 points on Saturday.
We're quickly approaching the 2014/15 kick-off, what are you looking forward to most this season?
I am really looking forward to captaining the side and I feel very privileged to have been giving this opportunity. I will lead by example and expect total commitment from everyone and with that we should have a successful season. I hope I can lead and drive the boys forward for what I all believe will be a promotion push, we definitely have the players and a squad to achieve this. That being said captaining the squad  with people like Suthers [Steve Sutherland], Searly [Stuart Searle], Rico [Ricardo Joseph] and Ty [Ty Smith] around, will also influence the team and will help out massively. Every single one of them has, could and would be a great captain of Met Police FC. Our aim for this season is to finish as high as possible and challenge for promotion. We will have to take every game one at a time and with the quality around the squad we really can be a force to be reckoned with and hopefully play attractive fast flowing controlled football. 

No comments:

Post a Comment